Event | Partnership Presentation
Rama Vaidyanathan + Ensemble
Sannidhanam – Sacred Spaces
Commissioned by Vancouver’s Mandala Arts and Culture, Sannidhanam is a new work choreographed by the world-renowned Indian Bharatanatyam artist Rama Vaidyanathan. It is inspired by the significance of symbols in Indian philosophy, using the precise grammar and lines of Bharatanatyam to depict a sacred geometry. Performed by eight dancers including Vaidyanathan, this is an unmissable opportunity to experience the work of one of the most celebrated Bharatanatyam dancers of her generation.
“Symbols hold a tremendous significance in Indian philosophy and many of them have become indelible tenets of knowledge and awakening. They appear to be the simplest, but are potent with layers of possibilities. This work explores the significance of the square, the circle and the triangle, integrating them with ancient literature that use them as mediums to delineate spiritual concepts. Bharatanatyam as a dance form too with its precise grammar and lines, lends it self perfectly well to depicting these sacred geometric angles and shapes.” – Rama Vaidyanathan
Presented by Mandala Arts and Culture in partnership with The Dance Centre
Rama Vaidyanathan is one of the foremost Bharatanatyam dancers of her generation. She trained intensively under the legendry dancer Yamini Krishnamurthy and the celebrated Guru Saroja Vaidyanathan. In a performance career spanning more than 30 years, Rama has developed her own individual style without forsaking the core principles of her dance form. Her technique is grounded and yet there is a fresh approach to the innumerable dance compositions that she has added to the Bharatanatyam repertoire. Having performed at every major dance venues of the world, she has been awarded with several titles. The “Kalaimamani” by the Govt of Tamil Nadu and the “Kalashree” by the Govt of Kerala. Other notable awards are the Kumar Gandharv Puraskar from the Madhya Pradesh Govt, Nadanamamani from Kartik Fine Arts Chennai, Vani kala Sudhakara from Tyagabrahma Gana sabha Chennai, Nritya Choodamani from Krishna Gana Sabha Chennai. Rama is the recipient of the Central Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar for the year 2017. As the Director of Ganesa Natyalaya New Delhi, she has been actively engaged in teaching for more than twenty five years. Rama balances a hectic performance schedule while conducting workshops and master classes all over the world, inspiring a whole generation of dancers.
CONCEPT & CHOREOGRAPHY – Rama Vaidyanathan
DANCERS – Rama Vaidyanathan, Kavya Ganesh, Nilava Sen, Pritam Das, Reshika Sivakumar, Sayani Chakraborty, Shubhamani Chandrasekhar, Vaishnavi Dhore
LIGHT DESIGN – Deepa Dharmadhikari
FILMING & EDITING – Innee Singh
HOW TO WATCH
- After booking a ticket, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not see it, please check your junk folder.
- Prior to the stream starting, you will receive another email with a link to access the stream. If you are booking after the stream has started, you will find the link at the bottom of your confirmation email.
- The stream can be played on any screen: on your PC, Mac, laptop, phone or iPad/tablet. Just click the link provided, and the stream will open in your default internet browser.
- For the best experience, we recommend using the largest screen possible, or connecting your laptop to a TV using HDMI cable or Chromecast.
- The performance must be streamed from one device.
- You can watch at any time in the streaming period, and you can pause, rewind and reopen the link as needed.